Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Quick Caramel Popcorn with Coconut and Chocolate Drizzle

I have made several attempts in the past at caramel popcorn, but it has never turned out well. The caramel has always been a little gritty, and I could never get the popcorn stirred in correctly to coat the pieces. Don't get me wrong, I still ate it all, but I thought I could do better.

In previous tries, I made caramel on the stove top, so I decided I wanted to make a 'quick' version. I was able to make this in about 10 minutes, mostly staring at the microwave.

I got a basic recipe for microwave caramel and went from there.


Quick Caramel Popcorn with Coconut and Chocolate Drizzle
1 bag microwave popcorn
1/2 stick butter (or margarine)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

Pop a bag of popcorn, and put aside in a large bowl.

Microwave the sugar and butter for 5 minutes on high, stirring halfway through. Make sure you're using a microwave safe bowl (or it will melt)!

Add in the vanilla and baking soda, and stir completely. The mixture will bubble.

Stir the caramel into the popcorn, and microwave another 45 seconds. Stir again, and then spread out on wax paper. Be careful, the hot caramel can burn you. Sprinkle some coconut on the popcorn if you'd like.

Melt the chocolate chips with a little bit of crisco (1/2 teaspoon) for 2 minutes in the microwave. Stir until the chocolate melts, and then put the mixture in a sandwich bag. Cut the tip from the bag, and drizzle the popcorn with chocolate.

Store in a cool place!

No comments:

Post a Comment