Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Healthy General Tso's Chicken

I went and checked out Saigon Market yesterday, our local asian grocery store. There were so many things that I had never heard of. I think in the future it would be fun to pick something, and try to cook with it. I plan to go back there often, things like sriracha sauce, sesame oil, soy sauce, mirin, sweet chili sauce, etc are very affordable there. For example, I picked up a larger bottle sesame oil for under half the price that I pay at Walmart.

Anyway, I felt inspired to make something chinese, but didn't want to bread and deep fry anything. OK I wanted to, but I chose not to.

Healthy General Tso's Chicken Recipe (serves 2)
3/4 lb chicken breast, diced
1 bunch green onions
1 teaspoon corn starch

Sauce
1/4 cup mirin (cooking rice wine)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sriracha
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 clove fresh garlic


Throw the chicken in a bag and shake it around with the corn starch, this will allow the chicken to brown and crisp. Get the skillet really hot, and add a little bit of sesame oil (1 teaspoon-ish). Brown the chicken on both sides and compile the sauce while you wait. Then add the sauce to the pan, and let it cook down until it bubbles and thickens, and adheres to the chicken. Garnish with green onions, don't cook them, they will get brown and gross.

Then you could serve this over rice, or eat as is. I roasted some asparagus in the oven (toss with a dash of sesame oil, salt and pepper, 400 degrees, 15 minutes)

It turned out really well! I think I will take this basic recipe and add some orange concentrate for orange chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment