Monday, April 16, 2012

Healthy Sweet Potato Salad

This weekend I was craving potato salad, after seeing some deviled eggs on Food Network (I am thinking the connection was hardboiled eggs). So while at the grocery store, I decided I was going to make potato salad, but use sweet potatoes instead of regular ones, and use some greek yogurt to tone down the amount of mayo.

Here is what I came up with, it was wonderful!:


Sweet Potato Salad Recipe (4-6 servings)

Ingredients:
2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 eggs
1/3 cup plain greek yogurt
3 tablespoons mayo
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon yellow mustard

To start, get the water boiling for your sweet potatoes. Add the sweet potatoes and get them cooked.

Get your eggs in a pot of water, and get that boiling as well. When the water is boiling, turn the burner off and cover the eggs. Let them sit on the warm burner for 13 minutes. I just learned the tip of cooking the eggs for only 13 minutes, it prevents the greenish-blue tint on the outside of the yolk. Then drain the water and peel the eggs. Cut up the white, and throw it in with the potatoes. We will add 2 of the yolks to our dressing mixture. You can disgard the rest to get rid of a few calories, or throw them in.

Add all of the remaining things together and combine in a small bowl. Then toss the dressing with the potatoes. This recipe is good served warm or cold.

I would suggest eating it with something grilled :)

The nice thing I noticed with the leftovers is that the sweet potatoes didn't completely soak up the dressing as I have seen when making regular potato salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment