Thursday, August 15, 2013

How to Install the Nest Thermostat (For Dummies, By a Dummy)

After reading the reviews on the nest, I decided I had to have one. I am always arriving at work and realizing I left the thermostat set at 70 on a 95 degree day, or going on a trip and wondering if I remembered to turn down the heat. The big selling point for me (besides how cute it is) was the fact that I could operate it from my iPhone.

So I found a 10% off coupon for Lowe's online and did the 'ship to store' and with tax paid about $240.

For a few days I procrastinated installing it because I was afraid it would be hard. I started the installation when I only had ten minutes to work on it, and was able to get it installed, and finish configuring the settings (except the wireless) in the ten minutes.

I turned off the power in my house. I did the entire house, because I wasn't sure which breaker my thermostat was on, and it has a battery backup. Check out all the stuff you get, even a cool screwdriver and some stickers to label your wires (though I was a rebel and skipped this step).


Then I took a picture of the current setup in case I ran into any issues and had to reinstall my old thermostat. Notice the wire colors. Each color also represents the wire name (G is green, Y is yellow, etc).



I then mounted the back part of the nest. Check out the cute little level that is build in.



I plugged in the wires where they belonged. Note: the red wire can go into either Rc or Rh, and I put my yellow into Y1.



Then you put the front of the nest on, pushing until it clicks.



Turn your power back on, pick a few settings, and you're all set. This was SO easy.



I then downloaded the Nest app from the App Store, and set up an account. That was super easy, just entered email and password. Next to add your thermostat, it will give you a code to enter into the app on the nest screen. Strangely though, mine automatically saw the nest on the network and prompted me to add it, so it was even easier.

This is the home screen of the app, which just says the temp that you have set. Notice in the upper right it also has the outside temp. To get into more detail, turn your phone sideways.



You'll now see this screen. If you pick schedule in the bottom left you can set temperatures.




If you choose settings, and At A Glance you can see the current temp in the house, as well as humidity percent (blue color, raindrop above).



Then there are some other energy saving options (you can read about them in the users guide), as you can see I have enabled some and they are learning. It is really neat!



My only critique is that from work, it takes a bit longer to load the app than when I am at home on the same network.

I will definitely be either bringing this nest if I move, or buying another one!


1 comment:

  1. This innovation in thermostat is pretty cool. I hope these would save some bucks in electricity. Heating and Cooling Ottawa

    ReplyDelete